By Judy Wilyman.
Open Letter – University of Wollongong Academics
17 May 2017
Copied to UOW Vice-Chancellor, Paul Wellings,
Dear Professor’s Heather Yeatman and Alison Jones,
Please take the time to read the false information that the West Australian media is providing to the public on the safety and efficacy of vaccines. The Medical Editor of the West Australian newspaper, Cathy O’Leary, has provided the untruthful information below to the public, and this adds to the false and misleading information others have provided in the media on vaccination science and my university research. Including Dr. John Cunningham (a spinal orthopaedic surgeon in Melbourne) and Kylar Loussikian, a journalist from the Australian newspaper. These Australian’s, including Cathy O’Leary , have received awards for their media stories that provide false and misleading information on vaccines and immunisation to the public.
As you are also promoting false information on the UOW website about the safety and efficacy of vaccines, I again ask that you remove this promotion to ensure that there is open and transparent debate on the academic literature. Please read the letter below to see how you are suppressing the academic debate on this important health issue.
Dr. Judy Wilyman
From: Judy Wilyman [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:57 PM
Cc: email@example.com; Haynes, Adam; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Subject: False and Misleading information on the Vaxxed Movie by Cathy O’Leary (Medical Editor)
To West Australian Newspaper, Cathy O’Leary (Medical Editor)
17 May 2017
Dear Ms. O’Leary,
It was with great concern that I read your article dated 15 May 2017 (Parents warned on anti-vax film) that provides false information about an important topic – children’s health. You have provided untruthful information to the public and your biased and unsupported story is endangering children’s health.
Vaxxed is the story of the fraudulent research that is being used to hide the link between vaccines and autism. It also provides evidence of the cover-up of the true frequency and type of vaccine injuries that are occurring. In your story I note that Michael Gannon, the national president of the Australian Medical Association (AMA), questions the credentials of the film-makers in an attempt to discredit the content.
Your newspaper story did not explain what the film was about and I presume this is because you have not seen the film. Therefore I am formally inviting you and your journalist colleagues to come to the screening of “Vaxxed: From Cover-up to Catastrophe” on Friday evening 19th May at 7.15 pm. We will reserve a chair with your name on it and if you are unable to attend please ask one of your colleagues to come in your place. There will be a Q and A discussion after the screening.This is also an invitation to journalists from the Post who are copied into this email.
Here is the false information that you provided in your story on the Vaxxed screening:
- The film is not anti-vaccination. It provides evidence of the cover-up of the scientific literature that demonstrates vaccines (specifically the MMR vaccine) are a cause of autism.
- It is produced by a respected medical investigative journalist, Del Bigtree, who has been producing medical documentaries for many years.
- The link between vaccines and autism has not been discredited and this is described in my PhD thesis published on the University of Wollongong website.
- Over 130 peer-reviewed studies show that vaccines are a plausible cause of autism and Vaxxed provides evidence that researchers at the US CDC were asked to destroy the evidence they found in their 2004 study that proved the MMR vaccine causes autism.
- Outbreaks of measles show that many vaccinated children are still getting measles.
- Catherine Hughes, a parent activist who has no qualifications in vaccination science or policy, has falsely claimed that the film has been discredited. Visit the Vaxxed website to watch the film for yourself and to find out about the credentials of the film.
- People are not vaccinating to “protect the herd” because the vaccines we are using in 2017 have not been added to control epidemics of these diseases. They were added after the serious risk of these diseases was reduced for the majority of the Australian population (Professor Fiona Stanley, 2001). And they have always been voluntary.
- The addition of each vaccine to the schedule correlates to the 5-fold increase in life-threatening chronic illness and auto-immune diseases in Australian children since 1990 and this illness is preventable.
- Vaccine injuries are not “rare” and the Australian population is being given false information by the Australian Academy of Science as described in Chapter 7 of my PhD thesis.
- The statistics show that autism is virtually unknown in unvaccinated populations such as the Amish in the US. The AMA has falsely claimed that autism is common in unvaccinated populations and I challenge the AMA to provide this information.
- Dr. Michael Gannon’s comments about the film-makers are an attempt to hide the fraudulent research being used by governments to claim vaccines do not cause autism.
It was distressing to many parents to see the false information you provided to the public on Monday 15th May 2017 and I hope that you will rectify this by coming to the Vaxxed screening in Perth. Children’s health and population health depend upon journalists such as yourself to report objectively and accurately on health issues.
Please RSVP so I can provide you with the venue details and I will reserve a seat for the West Australian and Post journalists.
Dr. Judy Wilyman PhD
Bachelor of Science, University of NSW
Diploma of Education (Science), University of Wollongong
Master of Science (Population Health), Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Wollongong.
PhD in The Science and Politics of the Australian Government’s Vaccination Program, UOW School of Social Science, Media and Communication (re-named the School of Humanities and Social Inquiry in 2014).